Tuesday, December 11, 2012

San Antonio Chromosome 18 conference

                                            Megan sure was excited to see Darin
                                             Alisha and Em- so happy to have gotten to know them
                                             Saying goodbye to the Powell's. We love them!
                                              Utah families and Lopez family, from TX
                                             So sweet! Megan and her buddy Darin
                                                        Megs at the Alamo, we only stayed long enough for a quick pic
                                             Alisha, Angie, and Jenny- the Utah mom's
                                             Alisha and Angie- heading out for girls night out
  Our sweet little Megan gets her own full page in the new brochure! We are so proud of her!!!
                                            Getting a drink with grandma at Morgan's Wonderland
 
Megan and Em
 
We had the great opportunity to spend 5 days in San Antonio the end of July this year. It was for the annual Chromosome 18 family conference and it was amazing! I loved every minute of it and was so grateful for the chance to go and for my wonderful mom to come along and help with Megan and learn also. We loved the classes that we attended, but the best part for me was the people! I loved not having to explain why my 2 1/2 year old doesn't walk, or talk, or what is wrong with her tummy (feeding tube),  or what is in her ears (hearing aids). It was great to be accepted and loved for just making it through the activities of daily living and where being out of the hospital for any amount of time is celebrated! We have it easy compared to some and it is always a great reminder to me to see what others are going through. I feel so completely at ease with these people that 2 years ago, I didn't even know they existed. I am amazed at the instant bond that is created among families.People with older kids are so great to offer advice and help with the younger ones. I enjoyed meeting new people this year and were so excited to see our friends we had made last year. We are fortunate to have 2 families in Northern Utah that we get to see on a more frequent, yet not frequent enough basis. We have really loved getting to know them and the wonderful children that they have. As you can see from our pics, we had a lot of fun! We also found out that Megan gets her picture on a page in the new brochure!  It was pretty darn hot there so we did only a minimal amount of sight seeing. Really, we only went to the Alamo and on the river walk and rode the boat.We also went as a conference group to Morgan's Wonderland. It is an amusement park that is 100% handicap accessible. It was so fun to see all the kids playing or exploring, no mater the extent of their disability. Megan loved it! I would love to take her back someday, but I think it will need to be when it is winter here.  It was a fantastic trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment